Compendium-to-Modul...

Notifications
Clear all

Compendium-to-Module tool

Page 1 / 2
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

According to the description, this area is for art, music, and images. What I have is a program. I didn't see any other place in the forum where this seemed appropriate, so I'll post it here, and let the moderator(s) determine if it should go elsewhere (or be deleted).

I wrote a standalone program in Electron (the same engine used for Foundry itself) that will look at your local Foundry data, present you with a list of compendiums found there, and allow you to select compendiums for export. Once you've selected the ones you want to export, it will roll them up into a module and build that module, containing the compendiums you selected, in your modules directory of your User Data files. I suspect, at some point, this functionality will be coded into Foundry itself, but this can serve as a placeholder in the interval.

It's still in beta, but it has worked as expected during my personal tests.

You can download the app here and test it.

Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2021 9:13 pm
Max and Seumas liked
BadIdeasBureau
(@badideasbureau)

At some point, there will be a way to list this kind of tool on the site in a similar way to the package list we currently have.  For now, this post has prompted us to make https://www.foundryvtt-hub.com/community/tools-integrations/ , as a home for this kind of thing (and a place for discussing their development in general)

Edit: And I've dropped this in there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2021 10:28 pm
Seumas liked
M B
 M B
(@mb141)
Candidate
Posted by: @badideasbureau

At some point, there will be a way to list this kind of tool on the site in a similar way to the package list we currently have.  For now, this post has prompted us to make https://www.foundryvtt-hub.com/community/tools-integrations/ , as a home for this kind of thing (and a place for discussing their development in general)

Edit: And I've dropped this in there!

Perhaps change title from "Unsure where this goes..." to "Compendium-to-Module tool" just so it's a little clearer to people browsing exactly what it is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 10:24 am
Nick
 Nick
(@nick)
Lead Moderator
Posted by: @mb141

Perhaps change title from "Unsure where this goes..." to "Compendium-to-Module tool" just so it's a little clearer to people browsing exactly what it is. 

I've gone ahead and temporarily changed the title to what you suggested. @mcasto, please change it to something else if you feel it's more appropriate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 2:39 pm
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

@nick

LOL. Good call.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/02/2021 4:23 pm
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

@badideasbureau

Awesome. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/02/2021 4:23 pm
Max
 Max
(@maxpat)
Initiate

Wow this worked great in my first run, I've been having some issues with my "Shared Content" compendium module lately and was looking for another way to create something just like this.

Quick question, what if I want to include a new compendium later on, (eg I have comp1 and comp2 in the module and I want to add comp3) If I export the compendiums and chose the same Module name will it overwrite my existing module? would in game links to the module compendium items be broken?

Edit - I tried it myself and links were not broken! This is fantastic 🙂

Great work and thank you for sharing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2021 1:46 am
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

@maxpat

Mmm ... that is a use case I had not considered. Yes, as it's currently written, it would overwrite the old one if you used the same module name on export. I was pretty certain the existing links would still work since, if you kept the same module name, all the references should still point to the same place, but I'm glad you tested it. I'm currently traveling and my circumstances are far from ideal, so I wasn't going to be able to test it for a few days.

Thanks for the feedback 😀 Let me know if you encounter any problems or have other questions.

For now, I'll leave it as an overwrite. I may add an option in the future to merge the exports into an existing module if it looks like this use case will be common enough.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/02/2021 5:51 am
Max liked
Max
 Max
(@maxpat)
Initiate

Kinda just 'thinking out loud' here, but I think as long as you still have Comp1 and Comp2 in your world, and on the second export you choose to export Comp1, Comp2, and the new Comp3 you'll be fine (that's how I did it in my test).

And if you deleted Comp1 and Comp2 from the world because they're now in your module, all you would need to do is duplicate the compendium from the module and use the duplicate for export and it should overwrite as expected with links intact (as long as you keep the compendium name the same).

Perhaps you could have an option for "Export to Existing Module" to add a compendium to an existing module? Although you would only want to export to a module created by this program probably. Definitely a niche case and the above work around is easy enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2021 6:54 am
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first desktop app I've released into the wild in a long, long time (~21 years). It feels good to know it helped someone 😀 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/02/2021 2:14 am
Max liked
SecretSquirrel
(@matthewkuhnert)
Editor

The link doesn't appear to work?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2021 2:10 am
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

Oh. Nuts. My bad. I'll have a working link up ASAP & do a follow up here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/03/2021 9:29 am
mcasto
(@mcasto)
Initiate

I had posted that on an AWS EC2 instance instead of my main server. I'm not sure why. I'll chalk it up to being tired. When I shut down that EC2 instance, of course, I inadvertently killed the link to this project. I've moved it over to my main web hosting server now, so it should now be permanent.

http://fvtt-dev.castoware.com/fvtt-comp-to-mod/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/03/2021 9:51 am
mbh9700
(@mbh9700)
Candidate

I ran the tool, and it created the folder under modules, and a "packs" folder, and a "resources" folder, but it never ends up creating a module.json file, so it doesn't show up in my list of modules.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2021 9:13 pm
Control Group
(@controlgroup)
Candidate

@mcasto Holy crap you are a lifesaver. I seriously can't thank you enough for this right now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2021 1:20 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: